Hello! Welcome back! It’s so good to see you again! I’m sure you’re aware that today is Tuesday and that means it’s time for another Top 10 Tuesday. Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is “facts about me” (bookish or otherwise). I decided to go with bookish facts about moi! So kick back, relax, and enjoy these 10 bookish facts about yours truly!
1. As you may have guessed from the title of this post, I am an avid audiobook listener and if you are a reader who comes within a 100 mile radius of me and/or this blog, I will try to convert you to the audiobook life.
Unless I’m reading an ARC or a comic book/graphic novel, you ca guarantee that the book I’m consuming is an audiobook. I grew up listening to audiobooks (my earliest audiobook memory is from when I was 5 or 6), so I have a deeply ingrained love for them. I think they are just the bees knees and it baffles me hhow many people dislike them. Guess it’s an acquired taste…(which I will most likely force you to acquire if you know me in any way MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! erm–ahem.)
2. How did I become such an avid reader? My mom read to me and/or told me stories every night when I was a child!
I can’t remember a time when the walls of my room weren’t lined with bookshelves full of books! Every night when I was a kid, my mom would read me one of the books, or, alternately, she’d tell me a story that she made up from memory. This is how I came to love stories and stories told out loud in particular.
3. I listen to/read between 4 and 14 books per month.
I’m a reading machine by average standards. I generally consider a month in which I read 4 books a “bad” reading month. Which, by the standards of any sane, normal person, is a massive amount. But who wants to be normal? Come on now, that’s no fun!
4. I have over 3,200 books on my Goodreads To Read shelf/ my personal TBR.
Heh. Yeeeeeeeeeeah. So. My TBR is kind of a mess. I do plan to read all of the books…at least I did when I put them on the list–okay so maybe I need to clean it up a bit but come on–it’s intimidating!!!
5. I can’t always afford to do this, but when I can, I do like to have a physical book copy of the audiobooks I own to put on my shelves and stare at adoringly.
There’s nothing like the feel of pages turning beneath your fingers. Call me an addict, but I need that feeling. Plus, books double as my room’s decor. Oh, god, I’m such a nerd…
6. I’m a #1 fan of the library–it’s where I get most of my books and audiobooks from.
Probably about 75% of the books I’ve read this year and last year have come from the 3 libraries I’m a member of (that’s right, 3). I regularly check out my libraries’ limit of digital audiobooks. I mean, I clean that place out, man! I check out so many books that my libraries are probably lucky I don’t physically come in and check out actual books because I’d check out as many as possible–and my libraries’ checkout limits are 50 books per month!
7. Because I load my audiobooks onto my phone, I never go anywhere without taking at least 10 books with me!
You know how some people never go anywhere without a book? I never go anywhere without at least 10 in my purse! That’s because I load all of my audiobooks onto my phone via the Audible and OverDrive apps! I listen to books while walking across campus or on the train/subway. You could say I’m literally a walking, talking library–but hey, if anyone needs a book, I come prepared!
8. My favorite genre is fantasy and while most people think the seasons for fantasy are fall and winter, I think it’s lovely to crack open a good ol’ fantasy book at any point during the year!
It baffles me how some people think there’s ever a time not to read fantasy! I mean, fantasies (unlike, oh, say, contemporaries) usually take place during ambiguous seasons. So why only read it during a certain season then? I think year round is the perfect time for fantasies!
9. I don’t own any bookish merch aside from a metal bookmark that my mom gave me.
This is the sad but true story of a girl who loved books but owned no bookish merch. That girl would be me. I sadly own no shirts or bags proudly proclaiing my booknerdness–oh! Wait! I do have bookish stickers from the Barnes & Noble Teen Book Fest! Does that count? If not though…I got nothin’!
10. Last, but not least, I saved the worst for last (!) and that is that I dogear pages of my books and I even sometimes write and doodle in my books. (*squeaks* please don’t kill me!)
Yes, I’m one of those people. In my defense, these are ingrained habits that I learned from my mom and in school! And I don’t do these things to borrowed books, whether I borrow them from the library or from friends!….*hangs head**whispers* I’m a monster, I know…