Hello and welcom to The Book Theme Meme, my weekly meme which pairs a book and a song! Everyone is welcome here so here’s how to participate:
- Link back to the originator (me, Lila @ The Bookkeeper’s Secrets)
- Choose a book or book series.
- Choose a song you feel like represents the book (fyi: it doesn’t have to have words, it can be classical or a score).
- Post the book/series and the song.
- Tell us what about the song reminds you of the book. Is it a particular lyric/s? Is it the general feeling of the song? Explain a little.
- Leave a link to your post in the comments of my weekly post so we can find your post!
Let’s get to it.
This week I chose the book The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski. I think the song “Can’t Pretend” by Tom Odell would make the absolute best theme for this book. The song just conveys so much angst and rawness. The song tells of a person who cant deny they’re in love with someone, they can’t even pretend not to be in love, despite trying so hard to. I feel like this really captures Kestrel and Arin’s struggle. They are so in love that they can’t pretend they are not, but their lives depend on pretending they’re not in love.