Hey, ducklings! Welcome back to Sunday Shelving! Suday Shelving is a Frankenstein-esque mishmash of the weekly memes Staking The Shelves and Sunday Post, with my own twist on things! Here I’ll be giving you my weekly recap and haul, as well as giving some love to my favorite posts of the week and to my favorite pictures from my bookstagram and recapping my week personally and blogging wise!
The Week In Books
Read And Reviewed
Ladies and gentlemen! I have officially failed to read/listen to any books in a week and a half! Please send help immediately as something is clearly wrong with me!
Have I finished Crimson Bound? No? Did I even begin to read it? Ha! That would be a “no.” Am I moving on for now? Yes. Have I even begun Nevernight by Jay Kristoff yet?…No.
In case you missed out on the totally subtle message that the above gif is meant to convey: I borrowed nothing.
I was on the fence, but I caved and bought the audiobook of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. I’ve heard mixed reviews about this one, so I’m going into it pretty cautiously. I’m apprehensive because I know the prose is dense with metaphors and that the books contains extremely graphic sex and violence (for those of you still unaware, this is 100% an ADULT book, despite having a teen protagonist). We shall see, we shall see…*strokes chin thoughtfully*
I almost thought I got nothing because I didn’t see or receive any email notifications from Netgalley or Edelweiss but then last night I got on Edelweiss to browse and saw that I’d been approved for the beautiful e-ARC that is Tara Sim’s Timekeeper! I’m so excited! Timekeeper was one of my most anticipated books of fall 2016 so I’m really looking forward to getting to it!
You can follow me on bookstagram @thebookkeeper5
- Pages Unbound asks if authors should mention periods in YA.
- Shivalika lists 7 of her favorite historical romance tropes.
- Aine tells us how to become a YA heroine.
- Ari says secondary characters are the best.
- Jenny explains blog tours.
- Michelle kind of admits that she might have a book loyalty problem.
- Aine also tells us the things you should and shouldn’t say to a struggling writer.
- Briana expands on why “spoilers” don’t generally bug her.
- Kristen talks series consistency.
- Becca guest posts on 3 things that stopped her from making her own graphics.
- Ashleigh wants to know how young is too young to read YA.
- Sam has an important video on critiquing the books you love.
- Author Kerri Maniscalco guest posts on failure.
- Klinta weighs the pros and cons of paper books, ebooks, and audiobooks.
- Nordie wants your opinion on commenting on blog posts.
- Dr. Becca talks book committment issues and how to cure them!
- Shannon shines a light on lesser known (but still kind of annoying) tropes.
- Ems celebrates the book community.
- Krysta gives some valuable college advice (and I know I sure wish I’d known it before starting college!) and what to expect on the first day of a college class.
Personal & Blogging News
Oy vey! It’s been a crazy week full of doctors appointments and computer troubles! But even still, it wasn’t really a bad week. My mom’s laptop broke the week before ths past week, so she commandeered mine, but Friday night, when she was in the middle of working on my laptop, it went berserk! Luckily Geek Squad was able to fix it remotely, as well as doing some routine maintenance! My mom got her new computer yesterday, I got my laptop back in better condition, and all was well in the kingdom! Other than that and doctors appointments, I did some work on my Book Blogger Creativity Project (BBCP) team’s graphic and turned it in to my group!
On the blog, there was some good stuff gong on. I tried out Wordless Wednesdays, which I really enjoyed, so I think I’ll keep it up. I also joined the 2016 Discussion Challenge! For the first time in what feels like forever, I posted a discussion and I was actually really proud of it! The topic was “Am I Being Unfair In My Reviews?” and I got some great responses from y’all!
Other than that, not much is going on. How are you doing, ducklings? What mischief have you gotten up to? Anything exciting or interesting happen? What was the last thing that made you laugh? Tell me all in the comments!
Over and out!